Motor Vehicle

Required for all transactions - Insurance Company Name, Policy Number, and Expiration Date of Policy 
Vehicle Registration
We renew MV tabs, transfer and register MN vehicles and first time title or registration of out of state vehicles.
If you need to renew your tabs and you did not receive your prebill, come in with your plate #, insurance information, and we will be able to process the transaction for you. If you are picking up tabs for someone else, you must have a written statement signed by them giving you the right to purchase their tabs. Bring in your drivers license for identification.
When transferring a title, bring in the title with a notarized lien release (if there is a lien holder showing on the title) and the odometer reading. If there are two sellers listed on the title, make sure both parties have signed off.
Transfer Vehicle Ownership
This is not all inclusive as to the purchase or transfer of vehicles. Title from state of last license is used to transfer (MN's title is 7"x11" green & white). If the title cannot be located, the seller must apply for a duplicate. The mileage as it appears on the odometer must be written on the title. Title will show current owner(s) name(s). All those whose name(s) appear(s) as owner(s) must sign as seller(s). If a lien holder is listed (bank, credit union or individual from whom money was borrowed), the lien holder must sign title or lien card releasing their interest in the vehicle. Transfer of ownership from the seller to the buyer is NOT finished until the completed title is turned in and the excise tax and related fees are paid. For unique situations or questions on vehicle transfers please visit or contact us at 320-864-1312.
Purchaser(s) duties: Print full name(s), address, date(s) of birth, driver’s license number(s) and sign. If no lien, check "None." If money was borrowed to purchase, the complete name and address of the lien holder(s), and the date of the lien must be printed on the title. Vehicle transfers from dealership to private individual(s) are usually handled by the dealership. However, out of state purchases of new vehicles require the Manufactured Statement of Origin (MSO) signed by the dealer with the individual(s) name(s) listed as purchaser(s). All transfers and new vehicles must be transferred within 10 days of purchase.
Typical turnaround time for titles is 10 weeks.  If you need your title sooner we do offer Fast Track service for an extra $21.00 per transaction.  The turnaround time using Fast Track service is 5-10 business days.
Motor Vehicle-Registration from Out-of-State
When someone moves to Minnesota they must submit foreign state title, or current registration if the title is unavailable.
Applicants must provide: Current odometer reading, and drivers license or state issued identification card. If there is a lien against the vehicle, the owner must provide the name and complete address of the lender, as well as the date of the loan.
Owner's signature is required on the Minnesota title application.

All-terrain Vehicle (ATV) License & Registration
Owner provides make, model, year, serial number, engine size (HP or cubic centimeters), and dry weight and his/her drivers license and signature.
·        Fee for private/ag ATV license is $14.50.  License is valid for a lifetime or until ATV changes ownership.
·        Fee for new public ATV registration is $68.50.  License is valid for three years.
·        Fee for renewal public ATV registration is $66.00.  License is valid for three years.

Snowmobile License & Registration
·        Fee for snowmobile is $111.00.  License is valid for three years.
·        Owner needs to provide make, model year, serial number, engine size, and sales receipt that shows proof of sales tax paid, and your current driver's license.  Private sales do not require sales tax.
·        One year sticker is available for $51.00. For non-resident state trail sticker.
·        Transfer of ownership is obtained by bringing the current registration from the previous owner and paying a fee of $18.50.

Watercraft License & Registration
·        Fee for watercraft vary depending on size and type.
·        Owner provides length, manufacturer, type of hull material (wood, metal, or plastic), type of propulsion, model, year, serial or hull identification number (HIN) and have a sales receipt that shows proof of sales tax paid.
·        Transfer of ownership is obtained by bringing the current registration from the previous owner and pay a fee of $17.00 for a titled watercraft and $13.00 for an untitled watercraft.  Titles are required on watercraft over 16' and newer than 1980.